Brianne's mundane life

Listen to me talk about the things I love. Wow. That really doesn't sound interesting.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Wasting my Time

So today I worked at my job that is not the bookstore.  Honestly, sometimes it seems like a waste of my time.  It’s not a bad job, and I’ve been there for over two years, but sometimes it just seems like a waste of my time.  I mean, the only days I work there are on my days off from the bookstore, so if I have to work there, that means that I don’t get any days off.  Which makes me generally pissed off when I have to work there.  It wasn’t a bad day.  I just thought of a thousand places I would have rather been than there.

I got all excited that I was going to be home tonight because I thought that I was going to get to watch Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential.  I cooked some stir fry and couscous and sat down to watch funny TV and what was on instead?  Baseball. I almost cried.  So instead I put on the DVD of Angels in America that I got from the library.  I’m a little over halfway through it and I don’t know if I like it or not.  The characters spout a lot of ideals that I don’t think they even believe.  A lot of just plain wrong theology and a cracked worldview all around.  Besides that, there is a lot of explicit sex, nudity and vulgar language in it.  I tried to fast forward through the worst of it.  

The acting in this is fantastic, holy crap.  I got it mostly because Patrick Wilson was in it, and I hadn’t ever seen him really act before.  He’s so good that I forget that he’s Patrick Wilson.  It makes me like him more than ever.  He’s an amazing singer, but I had only seen him act in the Phantom of the Opera movie, and I didn’t like that movie that much.  I don’t even like that musical. (Musical theatre fans everywhere are rising up to murder me in my sleep, but I don’t care.  Can you hear me?  I don’t like Joseph either.  Or Cats.  Ew.)  

Anyway, despite how good Patrick Wilson and the rest of the cast are, I don’t think that their fantastic performances redeem this for me.  I’m afraid that it’s a little too much to get through my worldview filter.  So I can’t recommend Angels in America.  There’s just too much crap in it.  It’s a great piece of writing and directing and acting, but unfortunately, it does not do a good enough job of portraying the truth.  There are small moments of it, but it is so polluted by the rest of the crap that you can barely see it when it comes up.

In other news, I was browsing on Amazon and I found out that Space: Above and Beyond is coming out on DVD next month.  I was so happy that I almost cried.  I have been waiting for it for years and years- it’s only my favorite TV show of all time.  For those who don’t know, Space is a space/war drama.  It’s inspired by the old war dramas in the forties and fifties, and it’s definitely the coolest show I’ve ever watched.  It was on in like, 1996 for one season and was cancelled.  I remember the day of the series finale well.  The Tony Awards were on that same night and Jenny and I were going to watch those, too, and we were so stunned and shocked by the end of the show that we missed the beginning of the Tonys.  But now it is on DVD and I am so happy.

I’m finally mending from my wretched cold, but I still have a hacking cough.  It’s ten times less attractive than the runny nose.  At least with the runny nose, people knew that I just had a cold.  Hacking like this, people are going to think that I have TB or something.  Plus I totally disturbed church yesterday morning.  Ahh, church yesterday morning.  My evaluation of that is best saved for its own post, at some point in time when I can be objective about the events that took place there.  Church itself was great, it was just some of the encounters that I had with people there that pissed me off.  

Anyway, it’s time for me to sign off.  I’m tired, I need  a shower, and I have to work tomorrow.  I’m turning into an old maid, I swear.  Until next time,

Brianne <><

1 Comments:

  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger J. M. Richards said…

    Wait! Wait!! Don't leave me hanging like that!! I was all ready to hear about chuch yesterday!! Fill me in, okay? Ironically, and independantly, I might add, my next post is going to be sort of about church. I love the way our minds seem to work in synch.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home