Brianne's mundane life

Listen to me talk about the things I love. Wow. That really doesn't sound interesting.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Guess which part of me is freezing off. Go on. Guess.

Holy crap, it’s cold!

It’s like nine o’clock in the morning and I walked outside around eight to turn off my Christmas lights, and I almost froze myself into a coma.  I was watching the news this morning and it said that it was fifteen degrees in Springfield, which is the nearest city to here.  

I don’t do well in cold weather.  I’m basically a big giant wuss, if you want to know the truth.  A couple of years ago I was over at my friend, Daniel’s apartment and we discovered that my comfortable temperature was 82 degrees.  We discovered that because that’s what his thermostat said when he asked me if I was comfortable- I’m pretty sure that he had sweat dripping off of him.

Yesterday I was supposed to go to the Branson Christmas parade, but I didn’t feel like getting out into the cold to stand around in the cold all by myself- I couldn’t find anyone to go with me and I was feeling particularly sociable that day.  I know that that must make me a terrible person, to skip something that my kids were involved in just because I didn’t want to go out into the cold weather by myself, but darn it if I can’t muster up enough feeling bad to make myself feel really guilty.  Does that sound uncompassionate to you?

This morning I woke up in a panic because I was afraid that I accidentally wrote my schedule down wrong and that I was supposed to be at work.  I actually called work to make sure someone was there so that I would know that I was in the clear.  Am I a total spaz?  Do normal people flip out like that?  Last night I had a dream that I went to work at A & W as a second job, except all the people I worked with at the bookstore were there, too.  I think that I am just feeling a particularly nasty brand of work-related anxiety, seeing that I just quit my second job that so desperately frustrated me (still not divulging that name) and I don’t know what I am going to do next.  Also, about three weeks ago, I actually did write my schedule down wrong, but it was a closing shift, thank God.  It wasn’t like I was the only one to open the store and if I didn’t open the store then it didn’t get opened.  That would have been horrible.  

So yesterday I said that I would describe my Christmas decorations.  I totally swung into Christmas-spirit high gear this weekend in that I even hung Christmas lights outside.  I’ve never done that before.  (All I did was wrap lights around the railing on the deck and hang them around the front door, but it made me feel distinctly domestic.)  Hanging lights outside wasn’t the tacky part.  I also got busy on my inside decorations, which I made out of construction paper like I was a particularly demented kindergartener.  I made a menorah, glued a picture of one of my Rent friends on each candle, and wrote “Would you light my candle?” underneath.  (People familiar with the show will get that.  Sorry, Bud.)  I made a yule log especially for Danielle that is inscribed with a quote from Blackadder: “May your yule log roll out of your fireplace and burn your house down.”  And my favorite of them all, I made a “Calvin and Hobbes” style snowman. This one has a giant hole in its largest section and a bewildered look on its snowy face.  The cannon that made the hole is nearby.  Today I’m planning on gluing Hugh Laurie’s face to a cutout of a house and writing underneath it, “There’s no place like House for the holidays.”  Hee hee.  

Well, here’s another post long enough to rival the Communist Manifesto.  I see that I haven’t lost my touch.  Tomorrow:  I tell you what I thought of the other two fall movies I watched- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Pride and Prejudice.  Bye for now,

Brianne <><

1 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger J. M. Richards said…

    Well I don't know if it make you more normal, but I have work anxiety attacks, too. It's like I don't trust my self to remember. And I guess it's because I haven't always had the most reliable memory.
    Well, this was a treat! Two new blogs from you!! Does that mean Danielle's computer is fixed? Is this a sign of better days to come???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home