Brianne's mundane life

Listen to me talk about the things I love. Wow. That really doesn't sound interesting.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

"How we gonna..." sleep?

I didn’t post yesterday simply because my yesterday was so incredibly boring.  I’m talking unparalleled boredom.  I had to work at the bookstore, and business was not exactly booming.  We did all right as far as sales went, but there just weren’t that many customers to help.  

A good thing was that when there weren’t any customers in the store, I was able to read.  I read The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen again.  I know that I am 25 years old and technically too old to be reading YA fiction, but I just love Sarah Dessen.  Her books are so clever and well written.  Plus, she really captures the voice of her narrators and other characters.  The Truth About Forever is her most recent book and my favorite- I don’t know how many times I’ve read it since it came out last year. I can’t wait until she comes out with something new.

I was also supposed to talk to my friend, Jessica on the phone last night, but I was so pooped by the time I got home and made myself some supper (tuna salad sandwich, mmm) that I just went to bed instead of talking.  The funny thing was that I sent her a text asking if we could postpone and she sent me one at virtually the same time saying virtually the same thing.  It’s like our brains work in perfect harmony despite her living in Pittsburgh and me living in Branson.  If we had talked on the phone, we would have been at it until the wee hours in the morning, and I just couldn’t take staying up that late last night.  

I would think that I was turning into an old woman if I didn’t remember that I’ve sort of always been this way.  I didn’t used to be able to stay up late at all.  If anything, it’s kind of reversed now that I’ve been done with school for a couple of years- I find myself working on stuff until two in the morning and still making full and complete sentences.  I think it’s because my system is so out of whack that I can’t get a decent night’s sleep anymore.  I have an, ahem, fluid schedule (a nice way of saying that I never know from week to week what I’ll be doing) and this definitely affects my sleeping and eating habits.  Plus, I’m a light sleeper, so these things tend to wake me up: 1) a car driving by outside; 2) my neighbor walking by my bedroom window; 3) any voices within several hundred feet, including people talking down in the parking lot; 4) the light right outside my window blinking on or off; 5) The phone ringing; 6) any sort of “apartment noises” like the building creaking or the air conditioner/heat kicking on or off.  Having an uncanny sense of hearing does not bode well for the light sleeper.  Also, I have trouble getting to sleep, so when I’m laying in bed, staring at the ceiling, I tend to play the “six degrees of Kevin Bacon” game with the Rent cast- thinking of any actor and linking them to a member of the Rent cast.  But this tends to keep me up longer, especially if I get stuck on someone.  (I got stuck on Heath Ledger one night until I realized that I was being stupid- Heath Ledger was in Ten Things I Hate About You with Joseph Gordon-Leavitt, who was on Third Rock From the Sun with John  Lithgow, who was in Dirty Rotten Scoudrels on Broadway with Norbert Leo Butz, who has two connections with Rent- he was an understudy in the original Broadway cast, but he was also in Wicked on Broadway with Idina Menzel, who was Maureen in Rent.  Talk about having too much free time on my hands.  I could do anybody.  Try me.)

Anyway, this post has finally made it back around to Rent, so I guess that it’s time for me to sign off.  Only two weeks until the movie soundtrack comes out, and then I’ll have a whole new spate of things to obsess over!  A bientot,

Brianne <><

2 Comments:

  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger J. M. Richards said…

    That was so funny how we did that. I was seriously tired also and I was like, "We can't start talking now. I will never make it."
    And seriously, your blog is like the three degrees of rent. Because, like, you never go more than maybe three paragraphs without talking about it. And I mean that in the nicest way.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger J. M. Richards said…

    P.S.: you linked my site? How sweet! Sorry, I just noticed that. Thanks!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home