Brianne's mundane life

Listen to me talk about the things I love. Wow. That really doesn't sound interesting.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Could I get an Award for being Obsessed with Awards Shows?

I have big news.  Last night I went over to Travis and Erin’s for dinner.  I called Travis right after I left because I had forgotten to tell him something, and he informed me that Emma, their daughter, had just said “Dada.”  And then she said it into the phone to me!  I mean, I’m not her Dada, but her Dada was sitting right there, so she said it to him and I got to hear it through the phone.  I was so happy!  She’s seven months old.  I don’t know when kids start talking, but I think that Emma is of above-average intelligence, anyway.  I was just blessed to be one of the first people to hear her first word.

I’ve been happy the last couple of days because it hasn’t been so bloody cold.  I looked back on my last couple of posts and they’re like one long kvetch about how cold I am and how sick of winter I am already and blah, blah, blah.  Yesterday it was very nearly temperate, almost fifty degrees. I didn’t have to thaw out The Beast with the hair dryer yesterday morning before I left for work, so that was a plus.  

The Golden Globe noms came out this morning.  No nominations for Rent, alas.  I didn’t really expect much, but I was hoping for a supporting actor nom for Jesse L. Martin, at least!  Rent did receive some Broadcast Film Critics’ Association nominations, best ensemble cast and a few other things, so that made me really happy. They also gave it a pretty good rating on their website.  (You can go here for a complete list of noms: http://www.bfca.org/nomineesWinners.asp) Like I said, I don’t expect much in the way of awards, but it really was a good movie, even if it did get mixed reviews.

Good news from the Golden Globes, though, was the television nominations.  Matthew Fox, Hugh Laurie, and Patrick Dempsey all got nominations in the drama category, and this is vexing because I love all three of them and I don’t know who to cheer for.  (So far, Hugh Laurie is winning out in my heart.  Sorry, Jess.)  Lost and Grey’s Anatomy both are nominated for best drama, but I know that I have to cheer for Lost or I would just feel dirty.  Naveen Andrews was also nominated for supporting actor, with no competition from William Shatner this year.  (Here’s where to go for the complete, although unfortunately, Rent free list: http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/globes/env-globesnomslist13dec13,0,7929053.htmlstory?coll=env-globes)

Well, I think that’s all for now.  As usual, TV has taken over this post.  I think I’ll go find a tape that I can record House on tonight.  A bientot,

Brianne <><




2 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger J. M. Richards said…

    I just read the whole list and I'm sooo irritated. The same old junk that gets nominated every single time was up there. This is why I do NOT like awards shows. Not enough of the really good stuff ever get the credit it deserves (except when ROTK swept the Oscars, and Lost won.) I hope Johnny Depp wins for C&CF because he didn't win for Pirates and he should have. Plus he was a really funny Wonka. But Brokeback Mountain??? *grumbles*
    And it's okay for you to root for Hugh Laurie. I personally feel Matthew Fox's nomination is just another example of what I mean. He is a good actor, but I don't think he's the best on the show, and I don't knwo why they feel like they have to nominate him for lead actor every time. Its sucha diverse show. Anyone could be the lead. Terry O'Quinn. Josh Holloway. Daniel Dae Kim. Dom Monaghan. Jorge Garcia. They can all hold their won as much and maybe more than Fox....but only Naveen got so much as a 'supporting' nom.
    Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Brianne said…

    But Jess, I like your soapbox! It's so pretty and shiny, and you say such smart things from there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home